At the beginning of each new season I get the shopping itch. I want shiny, new, pretty things. Before I crack out the plastic, I’m sure to take inventory of my closet. My process:
1) I start with three bags. One for charity, one for consignment, and one for trash (Yes, trash. Somehow it’s in there.)
2) I go through all my clothes and pull out all the pieces that either don’t fit me anymore or things I know I’ve worn and loved, but am over now. There are also those items that are just worn out. A sweater with holes or a broken down irreparable shoe are not worth keeping. These are the things that will go in that trash bag. If it’s something that just needs a stitch or some love, I start a new bag for repair items.
Before…a scary place.
Ah, that’s better.
3) To make sure I know exactly what I have, I go through everything. Every drawer, every hanger, every shelf. I reorganize every article of clothing I have to make sure it has a home. Folded items are re-folded and my hanging items are hung by colour.
4) Once I’ve purged and organized my closet, it’s time to see what I “need”. My seasonal needs are usually things that will update my wardrobe to keep it current while mixing well with what I already own.
A few things I make sure are always in my wardrobe are:
1) A couple pairs of great fitting jeans that make me feel sexy. I prefer skinny and a straight leg jeans.
2) A blazer that will work with jeans or over a dress. A blazer is such a simple way to keep your look polished.
3) Scarves! I have so many scarves, and I keep getting more. I have basics as well as fun colours and prints. Every women needs some fabulous scarves.
4) A trench coat in a basic colour like beige, black, or navy. It’s a classic piece that never goes out of style.
5) Some cute little dresses. I usually try and find dresses that I can dress up or dress down. I want to be able to wear them with heels and jewels or with a leather belt and denim jacket.
6) These along with some printed blouses, a-line skirts, ballet flats, metallic sandals, and some fun accessories and bags, my closet is full of great mix-n-match items perfect for summer.
Now that my closet is organized, getting dressed in the morning is a pleasure not a chore.
Happy Spring Closet Cleaning!